Requirements for Active Members are as follows:
- Possession of an unlimited license to practice medicine and surgery in the state, province or country of the applicant’s residence.
- Membership in good standing in the American Urological Association, Inc. and practice within its geographical boundaries.
- Possession of an MD or DO degree (or United States Medical Licensure equivalent), and completion of an ACGME accredited urology residency or equivalent accreditation organization) or the certifying Board of Urology in the country where practicing.
- Limitation of practice to the specialty of Urology.
- Certification by the American Board of Urology (“ABU”), American Osteopathic Board of Surgery (AOBS), or the certifying Board of Urology in the country where practicing.
Requirements for Associate Membership are the same as Active Membership except for board certification.
- Candidate Members Eligible for Fast Track Associate Status. Associate Membership will be offered to all Candidate Members who have passed the qualifying examination (Part I) of the ABU.
- Non-Members Eligible for Associate Status. Associate Membership is available to non-member urologists who are practicing within the geographic boundaries of a chartered AUA Section, but are not certified by the ABU.
Affiliate membership is available to Non-urologist MDs or Doctors of Osteopathy who are significantly contributing to the field of urology through clinical practice. They shall be nominated by two (2) Active or Senior Members who shall furnish the Section Board of Directors with the curricula vitae and other pertinent information.
Advanced Practice Provider Membership
Advanced Practice Provider Membership is available to physician assistants, nurse practitioners or advanced practice nurses specializing or concentrating in urology for at least one year.
Allied Membership is available to non-physician professionals, including nurses (e.g., RN, LPN, LVN), medical technicians, and medical assistants, specializing or concentrating in urology for at least one year.
Research Scientist Membership
Research Scientist Membership is available for independent investigators with PhDs or equivalent degrees, DVMs, non-practicing MDs and related professionals who have demonstrated achievements in the field of urology through research or who have made substantial contributions to urologic research in an administrative capacity.
Members are eligible for Senior Membership in the Section if they have been Active Members for 20 years in either the Section or the AUA and are retired or are permanently disabled.